Between Agia Roumeli and Sfakia is the picturesque seaside village of Loutro, bay of Cape Mouri. The communication is done with the boat line and boats from Sfakia is 2 nautical miles. Also be accessed on foot from the town and the path leading to the beach freshwater, lasting about 2 hours, and from Anopoli about an hour.
Here was the ancient city of Phoenix, which was the port of ancient Anopoli and refers to the Acts of the Apostles. Later used as a winter port of the country, because of the protection offered even in strong weather. The village got its name from the springs that were found there, the water of which came from Anopoli. The bath was called Katopoli.
Here Kritagenis worshiped Zeus and Apollo of Delphi. West of the village are the ruins of the ancient city, the temple of Apollo and the Turkish castle. Next to the church of St. Catherine at the entrance of the village still stands the Turkish Koules, built in 1866 and has a circular shape and height. Used as a school. An important building is elementary, located in the middle of the village and it was the building that housed the 'chancellor of Sfakian' during the revolution of 1821.
The bath is the ultimate haven for those seeking the perfect tranquility, relaxation, enjoying the beautiful beaches along with hiking, away from noise, the vastness of the White Mountains and the Libyan Sea. Ideal choice for families, as there are no cars. The water is crystal clear and a little deeper. Here you will find rooms and apartments, and taverns with fresh fish from local fishermen. Apart from the beach of the village, east is the beach 'freshwater'. For the more active, the village you can rent kayaks and to hike the trails and gorges. Main celebrations of the Assumption, St. Anthony and the Holy Cross which is east, it Perivolaki between freshwater and baths, built in the ruins of a Venetian fortress.
The plateau of the village, at an altitude of 600m. Access is from Chora Sfakia winding road 13km., Who climbs the steep mountains and offers breathtaking views of the rugged landscape and of the sea. The village is located near the site of ancient Anopoli, whose port was the Phoenicians Katopoli, the current bath. The ruins of ancient Anopoli, located on the hill of St. Catherine, to the west and southwest of the current namesake village. From this position, ensure full supervision of large areas of land, and the Libyan Sea. Its port, ensure maritime communication between East and West, as a stopover.
Anopoli was an independent city and had its own currency. Sources say that the 3rd century. B.C. occupied by neighboring Aradin and released from the Charmada, citizen Anopoleos. In this period dating perhaps the first phase of its walls. The 230 to 210 BC identifies a list of cities that sent it to Delphi. The Anopolis with Aradena and Pikilassos, are among the cities that have signed the treaty of alliance of 30 Cretan cities with Eumenes II of Pergamon in 183 BC The settlement survived Root Pelasgian walls that Pashley observed in the length of 300 steps, 6-step thickness and height 5-11 feet.
Anopoli was famous in Hellenistic times and it flourished in the Roman and Byzantine periods. The water supply was from tanks whose preserved remains. 2nd Byzantine period, was a fief of SKORDILI, according to the document distribution of Crete in the 12 nobles of Constantinople / glycol, in 1182. Residents as pioneers in the liberation struggles, will be punished hard by their conquerors. During the first centuries of Venetian rule, the Anopoli was the headquarters of the rebels. After the suppression of the revolution Kallergon 1365 the Venetians destroyed the Anopoli and deny the existence of humans and animals, for 100 years. Its inhabitants were dispersed to other regions and the place was deserted. Later xanakatoikitai and the era of the early Ottoman rule, it was flourishing village.
In 1770 and led by John Vlahos, known by the name Daskalogianni, Sfakians after 'empty' promises of Russians for help, will start revolution, which was suppressed because help never arrived. Anopoli destroyed once again. The proud leader in October of the same year, seeing that winter is coming and all will be lost in the snowy mountains, since the province was completely destroyed, will be delivered thus trying to save what liveware had left the province. The Turks failing to discharge their promises amnesty, use it as bait to capture and other chieftains. The curtain of the revolution, will close dramatically eight months later in Heraklion. The Turks flayed alive and in public view. The great hero, according to witnesses Muslims, not lose heart nor thin, and his heroic death, showed the conquerors their future. In memory of the revolution Daskalogianni, albeit belatedly, the Greek state established in 2006 by presidential decree, National Day of local importance for the island, the first since the June 17 Sunday. During the revolution of 1866, Omer Pasha burnt and destroyed once Anopoli. The landscape with the majestic White Mountains and trails that go up to the alpine zone (above 2000m altitude), in contrast to the tranquility of the plateau awe the visitor.
The plateau is fertile and most of it is covered by traditional and modern plantations. Northern plateau and the edge of the peaks, extends the pinewood Anopoli, which is of outstanding natural beauty and is one of the largest in Crete. From here starts the road to ascension to the White Mountains and the highest peak in the 'Pachnes', the abandoned 50 years Mouri village and the mountain refuge Svourichti - Chouliopoulos. In winter, the plateau 'dresses' sometimes in white. Throughout the year, changing colors and scents because of its rich variety of aromatic and other herbs. Anopoli consists of 11 neighborhoods, the Plain, St. Demetrios, IAR, Vardianoi, Round, Kambia, lakes, Mariana Pavliana, Root and Scala.
In a primary school, kindergarten, clinic and underpins the fire station Sfakion.Oi residents engaged in farming, olive growing, beekeeping and tourism.
Here you find hostels, rooms and apartments, as well as several traditional taverns throughout the year. Also here you will find traditional products, such as the famous nut, honey, olive oil, cheeses, herbs etc. For those interested in activities conducted in the forest organized the sport of Air Soft and which for those unaware, is shooting, with replicas of real weapons and plastic beads. For lovers of herbs, organized outings for identification and harvesting of wild herbs in the area and for those who would like to purchase for farming, there nursery. Also you organized to go hiking in the White Mountains, hiking in the gorges and mountain bike on a network of about 50 km
Main festivals are St. George, the Virgin Mary, St. Demetrius, St. Catherine and Prophet Elias. Do not forget to go up to the temple south of St. Catherine, where the sea is stunning. Anopoli is unique destination that combines leisure, sightseeing and outdoor activities as well as a journey through time in this historic corner of Greece. Spend some time discovering the authentic Crete through a visit to Anopoli! Celebration of gruyere on August 15, is a very good opportunity to taste the local traditional our products and enjoy a genuine Sfakiano feast!
Following the road north Anopoli and 3.5 km lies the ruined village now. Reaching the point of contemplating the iron bridge which connects the two sides of the homonymous gorge. This image is unique. Crossing the metal bridge, you will enjoy the beauty of high Aradainiotikou gorge. The Aradena located on the west side and on the brink of the homonymous gorge that separates the plateau Aradaina the plateau Anopoli, east of Agia Roumeli and near St John at an altitude of 520m.
The ruins of ancient Aradin Iradin or preserved in place Passopetra, near the present village that has preserved the name. It was after referring autonomous city between 30 Cretan cities that signed the treaty of alliance with Eumenes B Pergamon in 183 BC The ancient necropolis in place Xenotafi. Port Aradaina was the Phoenix. Believes founded by Phoenician colonists and the name associated with Phoenicia Aruad word meaning shelter and namesake town was in Phoenicia. The Aradena until the last centuries of Venetian and Ottoman first prospered because its inhabitants were engaged in shipping and trade.
The village became a target several times by the Turks because of its resistance, and because here manufactured weapons. During the revolution of Daskalogianni against the Turks in 1770, was completely destroyed. Isolated in 1824 in the Aradena Samiotis captain Hadji Georgis Maniatis Reader Manouselis with a few companions, where killed in battle with the Turk-Egyptians Hussein. The village is mentioned in the Egyptian census in 1834. That same year Pashley says there were 38 houses and the main product of the village were wheat, barley and silk. On 08.11.1867 the Cretans chieftain Costaras and Kriaris Mantakakis, the Maniots under Petropoulakis in fierce battle that took place in Aradena, attack repulsed 10,000 Turkish soldiers Resit Pasha. In 1881 the village is reported to belong to the municipality of St. John with 124 inhabitants. 1900 refers to 188. The village was abandoned in the 1950s due to vendetta.
Here is the church of the Archangel Michael or Astratigos, which was built during the early 14th century in place of the nave of one of the two basilicas that exist in the seat of the Diocese Phoenicia'' ie'' Aradenas. It differs from other cross-domed churches of Crete, because following degenerate tendencies of the Greek School in the architecture.
The iconographic program includes low standing saints and scenes from the evangelical circle, the Life of the Archangels, the life of St. Nicholas and the Second Coming. The wall paintings dating back to the first decades of the 14th century can be attributed with high probability the famous painter Michael Veneris. The church celebrates on 8 November. In recent years some homes renovated.
The abandoned village is ideal for a leisurely stroll through the narrow paths and homes, which are built according to traditional architecture Sfakiani. The bridge is stylish canteen. The iron bridge that connects the two sides of the gorge are offering Vardinogianni brothers whose family hails from St. John, a village 5 km west of Aradena. The bridge was completed in 1986, has a height of 138m. and is the highest in Greece and the second in Europe. In the middle of the bridge's platform and carried out in this sport of jumping with elastic rope, bungee jumping. The fans of the genre are able to canyon jumping every weekend during the months of June, July and August. The bridge and if you are lucky, you will enjoy the flights of griffins barbatus-barbatus. The large raptors nest on the steep slopes of the gorge. Also on the east side of the gorge, recently placed trough for birds. Behind the canteen starts the descent path to the magnificent gorge Aradaina length of 7 km, which after about 3.5-4 hours enchanting hiking ends in the beautiful beach Dialiskari or marble, where you can enjoy swimming and 'pinch' in the canteen there. Then you can go with a small boat or on foot (about 2 hours) in the bath and then in the Country.