Fragokastelo

The plain of Fragokastello located east of the municipality and is the only one on the south coast of Chania and Rethymno. It owes its name to the homonymous medieval castle on the south, which after dramatic history, passed at the legends and fiction. According to geological studies, the plain emerged from the sea before one million years. Located south of the villages and Patsianos Kapsodasos.

Archaeological research of the last thirty years, unearthed pottery finds from the Middle Minoan (1800 1600p.ch.) And Late Minoan (1600-1450p.ch.) Period, certifying permanent residence and presence in the small valley. Denser are the findings from the Minoan period onwards, which show an overall edge. East of the castle to its present location of St. Nikita was the ancient city named Nikita. Residues identified two Roman settlements, while northwest of the castle have been found one yet. At this point and focusing on the basilica Astratigos, whose ruins lie north of the fort, it seems that there was still organized settlement in the 6th-7th AD century, as evidenced by remnants Masonry and stone piles. The royal and the settlement was destroyed by an earthquake. Then the area was abandoned probably due to the Arab raids. Residential activity we again from the 13th century during the early Venetian period, where there is construction of churches in positions of basilicas that existed before, while north of the valley appear the three villages, Patsianos, Kapsodasos and Skaloti.

In 1371 starts the Venetian building of the fortress in order to repel the pirates and the control of local uprisings and completed in 1374. Since then the castle has not been used and rarely had guard. Until the 1770 revolution Daskalogianni himself and to protect the rest Sfakiots, surrendered to the Turks in the castle. A year later and without the great leader to give in cunning plans and threats of Turks flayed the public in Heraklion. In 1828, while the struggle of national revolution is underway in the area will give a fierce battle, with mixed power and Sfakian Epirots against the Turks, which would discredit the plain, giving birth to the legend of 'Drosoulites'. The valley in the late 19th century until about 1950, was cultivated during the winter months for wheat. Given the size and difficulty of plowing the ground with animals, cultivated half of it every two years. At that time built the windmill was located west of the fort to produce flour.

Today the valley is covered extensively by modern plantations, interspersed with carob mainly in the north and winter legume crops for feed. Today's settlement should begin in the late '70s with the advent of visitors and the creation of accommodation. West of the fortress is the castle with two-aisled church of St. Haralambos Crucified, founded in 1821 and is celebrated on February 10.

South of the castle lies the homonymous beach with golden sand and crystal clear shallow waters, ideal for young children and families. Another very special and secluded beach is a proper sand ', which lies east of Fragokastello and ranks 10 most beautiful beaches of Crete. The beach is formed by dunes of 40m. about. There are other beautiful beaches such as St. Pelagia the homonymous church and Vatalos. Generally along the entire plain, there are beaches with crystal clear waters and sandy beaches. East and to the way Skaloti right of the road is the track off hang gliding. West of the castle in the 100m. is the port where you can take your boat and to buy fresh fish in the early morning.

The people involved with tourism, agriculture, farming, viticulture, apiculture and fishing. Here you will find rooms, apartments and hostels. There are several tavernas with special Sfakianes flavors. Fragokastello is idyllic place for vacation, recreation, sightseeing and activities throughout the year. The sun and the sea, canyons and nature, and sweet nights with starry skies in the shadow of the castle, create a unique kaleidoscope. Those of you who have been fortunate enough to play here since November, and by spring will enjoy special, rare experiences and images that will travel in space and time. Due to its location by the sea, at the foot of the White Mountains and the tropical climate where nature has endowed, created conditions where rainbows and contrasting colors of nature, creating a paramythokosmo. Also at the same time the valley is right melissoloi because of the olive harvest. For those who are interested can participate in this and other activities, such acquaintance with honey, livestock and livestock products such as milk, cheese and herbs, upon request.

Also within the fort housed permanent folklore exhibition, techniques and projects SFAKIANOU Bondage. All works are original and it is the job of a lifetime of folk artist Mrs. Marie Naxaki, which donated the valuable collection in our municipality in 2011. While exposed another collection of paintings by SFAKIANOU folklorist our region Kou Kanakis Geronymaki, with subjects from everyday Sphakia 19th century. The fort made during the summer season, many cultural events for which you will be informed of our tourism kiosks and the website of our municipality.

www.dimos-sfakion.gr 

Map of Sfakia

Mobile friendly