Archaeological aerias

Anopolis.

The ruins of ancient Anopoli, located on the hill of Agia Aikaterini, to the west and southwest of the current namesake village. From this position, ensure full supervision of large areas of land, and the Libyan Sea. Its port, ensure maritime communication between East and West, as a stopover. Anopoli was an independent city and had its own currency. Sources say that the 3rd century. B.C. occupied by neighboring Aradin and released from the Charmada, citizen Anopolis. In this period dating perhaps the first phase of its walls. The 230 to 210 BC identifies a list of cities that sent it to Delphi.
The Anopolis with Aradena and Pikilassos, are among the cities that have signed the treaty of alliance of 30 Cretan cities with Eumenes II of Pergamon in 183 BC The settlement survived Root Pelasgian walls that Pashley observed in the length of 300 steps, 6-step thickness and height 5-11 feet. Anopoli was famous in Hellenistic times and it flourished in the Roman and Byzantine periods. The water supply was from tanks whose preserved remains. The site covers a fairly large area, surrounded by strong walls and foundations includes many homes, a large cistern and perhaps the foundations of a large temple. Several walls are preserved to a height of 1-3 meters, most built from adouleftes stones and some of cornerstones. The visible architectural remains arrive in the south to the church of St. Catherine, where preserved and part of the Turkish cool.
In the wider region have identified two ways of living in neighborhoods and individual farmsteads. Also been revealed by excavations, cist tombs of the Roman period (the cemetery of the ancient city located between the settlements of Lake and Pavliana). The 1988 fieldwork at an altitude of 600 and 800 m, were discovered a few positions Ysteroneolithikis / Early Minoan period.

Phoenix.

The ancient city of Phoenix was in a cove west of the current Loutro Sfakia. There harbor Anopoli and Aradena with development in Roman times. The port provided strong protection because of its position, even from strong storms. Today there are the remains of habitation. In place of the Theotokos Church, there was a large aisled basilica, where the walls are preserved to a height of 3 m is characterized by spacious outbuilding south of the narthex, rather baptistery. Was the seat of the archdiocese until the early Venetian period. Here Kritagenis worshiped Zeus and Apollo of Delphi. West of the village are the ruins of the Temple of Apollo and the Turkish castle. Next to the church of St. Catherine at the entrance of the village still stands the Turkish Koules, built in 1866 and has a circular shape and height. Also remains of ancient bathtubs, they took the name of the present village of Loutro.

Katri.

The ancient town allegedly was the basin of Krapi or adjacent to it 'pads' on the road Fountains - Sfakia. It took its name from Katreas, eldest son of Minos. According to Homer, here was the grandson of Menelaus, when Paris apeigage the beautiful Helen, the cause of the Trojan war.

Ksiropolis.

The city is located west of the village Patsianos in place where the church of St. Theodore Tyron. So named because of the lack of water. There are ruins.

Nikita.

Was north and east of the fortress Frangokasteilo. There was a temple of Goddess Nikita, the ruins of which was built later in the 6th century Basilica of St. Nikita the 13th century the small Byzantine church that exists there today. In the yard of the church is impressive mosaic, which for reasons of protection, has been covered by gravel. Archaeological research of the last thirty years, unearthed pottery finds from the Middle Minoan (1800 1600p.ch.) And isterominoiki (1600-1450p.ch.) Period, certifying permanent residence and presence in the small valley. Denser are the findings from the Minoan period onwards, which show an overall edge. Residues identified two Roman settlements, while northwest of the castle have been found one yet. At this point and focusing on the basilica Astratigos (Archangel Michael), whose ruins lie north of the fort, it seems that there was still organized settlement in the 6th-7th AD century, as evidenced by remnants Masonry and stone piles.
The royal and the settlement was destroyed by an earthquake. Then the area was abandoned, probably due to the Arab raids. Residential activity we again from the 13th century during the early Venetian period, where there is construction of churches in positions of basilicas that existed before, while north of the valley appear the three villages, Skaloti, Kapsodasos and Patsianos. In the current location, the church of St. Nikita made the antiquity PAGRITIA games in honor of the goddess Nikita who were popular and considered the forefathers of the Olympic Games. The struggles continued throughout the historical period and until today. On 15 September each year they celebrate St Nikitas take shape again. The games are in the new stadium of Sfakia, located opposite the church with sports speed, length, shot put, discus, shooting and riding.
Apollonia Apollonia.
The location of the allegedly was close to the beach of Agia Marina, south of the village Argoules.

 

Next

Map of Sfakia

Mobile friendly